What To Do About American Cockroaches On Your Estero Property
January 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
Most people assume that only dirty properties attract cockroaches. They think that because they clean up after themselves, wipe down the counters regularly, and organize their pantries once a month that they are immune to a roach infestation. Unfortunately, they would be incorrect.
Roaches are incredibly resilient, and can survive in almost any setting. Therefore, your spic-and-span house or office space is just as vulnerable to a roach infestation as the dirtier building next door. Here in Estero, FL, there are several kinds of cockroaches looking to take up residence in your home, but the most common of these species is the American cockroach.
How To Tell If You Have An American Cockroach Infestation On Your Estero Property
American cockroaches are one of the most common kinds of roaches you’ll see here in Estero. They are also the largest species, capable of growing up to 3 inches long. They are typically reddish-brown in color, and have a yellowish figure-eight pattern on the backs of their heads. They are oval-shaped, with antennae, and six legs. Both males and females have wings, which makes them more nimble and allows them to easily explore your home.
These roaches prefer warm, humid climates, making your Estero property especially vulnerable to an infestation. You will know you have an American cockroach infestation by the presence of a musty odor. You may also see egg capsules, as well as roach droppings. These droppings resemble pepper flakes, and would be found in your pantries and in the crevices of your property, where roaches typically like to hide.
The Dangers Of An American Cockroach Infestation
Aside from just being plain gross, American cockroaches actually pose a direct threat to the health and safety of the people residing in your Estero property, as over 60 pathogenic bacteria, fungi, molds, parasitic worms, and viruses can be found in them:
- Salmonella: American roaches can pass on salmonella to humans. It has been discovered that salmonella strains transmitted by roaches are actually more resilient to treatment than regular strains.
- E. coli: This illness is spread by coming into contact with roach droppings, and can cause severe gastrointestinal distress in people who contract it.
- Listeria: This is one of the most serious types of food poisoning. Roaches spread this simply by scuttling over your eating utensils, spreading bacteria that you unknowingly put into your mouth.
Aside from the dozens of illnesses American roaches can spread, they can also cause asthma attacks and severe allergies in children. Symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
- Chest tightness and pain
- Trouble sleeping caused by constant coughing
- A whistling sound when trying to breathe out
How To Prevent American Cockroaches In Your Estero Property
There are several things Estero property owners can try to prevent American roaches from infesting their properties:
- Caulk gaps in the property: Roaches enter by squeezing through even the tiniest of holes, so be sure to caulk up any gaps and holes you find on the building.
- Fix moisture problems: Roaches like warm, humid areas, and leaky pipes and other moisture-prone areas of your property will attract them like crazy. Be sure to fix these and keep the property from being more appealing to cockroaches.
- Tidy up: Be sure to keep food secure and clean up all messes as soon as they happen. Lack of food makes a building less appealing for roaches to enter.
What To Do When You Find American Cockroaches In Your Estero Property
If you find evidence of American roaches in your Estero property, don’t try to remove them yourself. They are difficult to remove, as they are incredibly resilient and resistant to most store-bought insecticides and DIY methods, making it nearly impossible to remove them on your own.
The best thing you can do is immediately contact Quest Termite & Pest Services. With 20 years of expert pest removal experience, we will send one of our knowledgeable technicians over to your property to safely and effectively exterminate your American roach infestation.
Don’t wait — the longer you take to contact us, the more time roaches have to spread harmful diseases to your family and other people who enter your Estero properties. Let Quest Termite & Pest Services take care of this for you today.
Michelle and Griffin are personable, responsive, and genuinely helpful. We have loved being serviced by Quest for the past year and will continue to use them going forward!